The overwhelming challenge women tell us they face is managing their time. Finding enough hours in the day to fit all the things that need to be done can be a struggle, but it is far from impossible.
In this week’s re-air, we speak to time management and productivity expert, Laura Vanderkam, about her new book Off The Clock and exactly how to “feel less busy while getting more done”.
Laura Vanderkam is the author of several time management and productivity books, including Off the Clock, I Know How She Does It, What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast, and 168 Hours. If anyone can help us to manage our time, it’s her!
Laura is not about finding little shortcut productivity hacks in an effort to ‘save time’, instead, she has studied how thousands of successful women and men spend their time and analyses what they do that makes them good at it.
Some of the highlights from this episode include:
- An explanation of time tracking – what it is and why you should give it a go. You can download Laura’s free time log and make over guide on her website.
- What it means to feel “off the clock” and practical things we can do to “stretch the experience of time”, including creating “effortful fun” and saying no.
- Reframing the “busy” narrative that so many of us have adopted.
- Why we should re-organise our weeks and schedule our most important work for first thing on Monday morning.
- Laura’s take on outsourcing, is it really just for the rich?
- What Lucy and Jo learnt from their own time tracking experiment.
- The one piece of advice Laura gives to professional women managing the juggle. Hint: it relates back to one of our favourite topics, your mindset!
Off the Clock will be released on 29 May, but it is available for pre-order now. Find links to buy the book on Laura’s website and while you’re there, check out her other books too, especially our favourite, I Know How She Does It. You can also find Laura on Facebook and Instagram.
If you give time tracking a go we’d love to hear how you get on. Join our Facebook group, The Juggle Community. and let us know.