There are some common themes that women returning to work after children have to deal with – breastfeeding or pumping at work, battling mum guilt, finding your place at home whilst also maintaining your place at work, and how you can keep driving your career forward.
In today’s episode we speak with Jane Tandy, Chief Operating Officer at Patersons, WA’s largest stockbroking and wealth management firm. She is also one of only two women, and the only Western Australian representative, sitting on the board of the Stockbrokers and Financial Advisers Association of Australia.
Jane speaks openly about her career ambitions and how she has managed to keep them on track with a toddler and 5 year old step son.
Jane shares so many great nuggets including highlights such as:
- The pros and cons of keeping in touch during maternity leave
- Negotiating with her husband for him to take on the stay at home dad role
- Mothers groups – for mums and dads!
- The importance of having a safe place to express at work and how to organise one in your workplace
- Using honesty in the workplace to ensure you have time to express or otherwise be flexible at work
- Getting involved in organisations where women are supporting women, and stop kicking the ladder away for others on your way up
- Reflecting about what is important to you – and making sure you allocate your time appropriately.
We also hear the last of our chats with Michael from MLC Canberra. In this last segment we ask Michael to explore the question of when to pay off the mortgage vs invest in other ways. A huge thank you to Michael for sharing his time and expertise with us.
If you would like to hear more of Michael’s quick tips, go back and listen to the previous four episodes. Otherwise, to speak directly about your personal situation get in touch with Michael online, connect with him on LinkedIn, or follow him on Twitter.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- If you want to connect with Jane Tandy you can find her on LinkedIn and at PSL
- The Juggle Community, our online Facebook group
- Find us on Instagram and Facebook
- The Juggle website where you can find all episodes of The Juggle and sign up to be notified when a new episode is released