In today’s episode we shift gears from our usual practical advice to talk about some big topics that come up time and time again when it comes to working parents, or perhaps even just life in general. Today we’re talking about luck, failure and success. What do they mean and why are we so fixated on these things?
We talk about:
- What does it really mean to be “lucky”. How much does luck play in the scheme of our lives as opposed to our hard work, commitment and skills. Are we simply lucky to have supportive family or a flexible career, or is there more to it than that?
- What success means to us and how that changes over time. Jo is a prime example of this as I ask her to recall what she told me success was to her when we started the podcast.
- Ways of thinking about our lives to help us to determine what our values are (see, we can’t do an episode without some practical advice!).
- Why we may feel a sense of failure and what we can do about it.
- The general reluctance to share failures, why it is important to do so and what we can learn from this.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Juggle Community, our online Facebook group
- Find us on Instagram and Facebook
- The Juggle website, where you can find all episodes of The Juggle and sign up to be notified when a new episode is released
- Jamila Rizvi on motherhood and career confidence (Ep19)
- Pia Turcinov – Creating your own portfolio career for greater flexibility (Ep16)
- Tim Hammond – putting family ahead of his political career (Ep 29)
- The article that prompted our discussion about success