Ginger Rogers may have done everything Fred Astaire did backwards and in high heels – which is amazing in itself! – but what would happen if she was able to turn around?
That is the question Anne-Marie Rice (accredited family lawyer and mediator) asked at the end of her uplifting and emotional speech when accepting the Lawyer of the Year Award in Queensland recently.
Anne-Marie’s speech is raw and emotional, and our discussion with her about the juggle of work and family brought both of us to tears.
Highlights from this episode include:
- A truly inspiring clip from Anne-Marie’s recent acceptance speech.
- A discussion of the inhibitions women feel about revealing the difficulties they face in being parents with demanding careers.
- The perfect storm of being a woman and being “on” all the time.
- The idea that women need to act like men in order to succeed at work, with the majority of workplace structures having been created when men were the main participants at work.
- Savouring the positive before moving on to the next thing.
- The sacrifices and financial cost required by parents.
- The need for our children to understand the value we derive from our work and its importance to us as individuals.
Thank you to LawCPD for sponsoring this episode!
LawCPD offer premium CPD courses Australia wide. All their courses are provided online which makes it really easy to complete your CPD from anywhere. Find a full range of courses offered by LawCPD here!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- If you want to connect with Anne-Marie Rice you can find her at ricemediations.com.au and on Instagram and LinkedIn
- A link to Anne-Marie’s speech
- The Juggle Community, our online Facebook group
- Find us on Instagram and Facebook
- The Juggle website, where you can find all episodes of The Juggle and sign up to be notified when a new episode is released