We all know that our own health is the most important thing – if we fall apart, it is more than likely that everything else will too. Despite this, often we overlook our own self-care, putting ourselves last on the never-ending list of things to be done.
In recognition of World Mental Health Day on 10 October, we are taking this week’s episode to encourage you to put yourself first with 7 ways to prioritise self-care. The episode isn’t about telling you to read a book or go for a walk – what you do for your own self-care is personal choice – but more about how to find little ways to make sure you make self-care a priority.
To help you, we’ve set a self-care challenge in The Juggle Community, our online Facebook group, which starts on 7 October, so make sure to join the group so you can take part. We promise we won’t make you sign up for a new gym membership or spend hours slaving in the kitchen. We know you’re busy, but we also know that more often than not, you probably put yourself at the end of the to-do list … and how often do you reach the end of that list! What we will do is encourage you to take just a few minutes each day to be kind to yourself. Simple!
Now, just to be clear, we don’t claim to be perfectionists at the whole self-care thing. As we say in the episode, neither of us are very good at it. But, we practice what we preach and have been taking our own advice over the last few weeks since we recorded this. For example, I (Lucy) have put off writing these show notes countless times in favour of sleep, or, in the case of this morning, watching Lilly sleep, but having done so, I’m now writing these at 6AM, full of life and raring to go (which is rare for me these days, especially being 5 months pregnant!).
Here’s a sneak peak at out 7 ways to prioritise self-care. Listen to the episode for all the juicy details!
- Start with 15 minutes.
- Manage your self-care like you manage your other jobs. Yes, this includes scheduling it!
- The obvious ones – eat well, exercise, sleep.
- Self talk, self belief. Care for yourself by talking to yourself kindly.
- Self care doesn’t have to be solo.
- Manage expectations! (We had to!)
- Join our challenge – happening next week in The Juggle Community!
Thanks once again to LawCPD for sponsoring today’s episode. LawCPD are kindly offering our listeners 20% off all their wellbeing courses for the month of October. Simply select your course and then enter the code “SELFCARE” at the checkout. LawCPD have a wide range of wellbeing courses from practical wellbeing and dealing with criticism and failure to asserting yourself an dealing with difficult people. Of course they also have wellbeing courses designed specifically for lawyers, including emotions vs evidence and dealing with judicial bullying. Choose your course here and don’t forget to use the code “SELFCARE” at the checkout.
Other links mentioned in the episode
- Shonda Rhimes’ TED Talk, My year of saying yes to everything.
- Jessica Courtney’s interview, Prioritising self-care
- The Juggle Community, our online Facebook group
- Find us on Instagram and Facebook
- The Juggle website, where you can find all episodes of The Juggle and sign up to be notified when a new episode is released
- LawCPD – premium continued professional development courses for lawyers