Job share! We’re often asked to share stories about job share – does it really work? How do you make it happen? What does it look like in practice?
Today, we’re answering these questions! We’re joined by Amanda Fajerman and Claire Vines, both of LOD. Amanda is Head of Legal Technology and mother to three children, aged 11, 9 and 5. Claire is Head of R&D and has two children aged 4.5 and 9 months.
Both Amanda and Claire work 4 days a week, often from home and often ad-hoc hours to cater for sick kids or to juggle child-care. Although they lead different streams of work, they job share and tackle clients as a team.
Highlights from this episode include:
- How Amanda and Claire’s job share arrangement came about
- How Claire handled concerns about her work when she went on maternity leave – open and blunt conversations, but not throwing each other under the bus
- “If you want women to return to work part time, you have to support them”
- The most important cultural value – “Life is first, work is next”
- Does sharing work result in doing more work? Amanda and Claire say no, a 10-minute meeting is all you need.
- Flexibility needs to go both ways – if you work on a weekend, you deserve to take time off. Call your employer out if you’re not being treated this way.
- Boundaries, of course! How Amanda and Claire tackle boundaries and communication between them to make sure that they are across all the work but also get to have some well-deserved time off.
- On my day off, work isn’t an emergency. We’re not saving lives!
- Change is incremental – you don’t go from no children to 3 children and working 4 days a week – you learn as you go
A special offer from our sponsor LawCPD!
LawCPD are generously offering juggle listeners a buy-one-get-one-free offer on their online courses. Use the code “Juggle11” when you buy a CPD course before 31 December 2019 and receive a free course to the value of $109 (1-hour or 1 CPD point value).
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Lucy’s interview with Amanda and Claire on Doing Law Differently
- The Juggle Community, our online Facebook group
- Subscribe to The Juggle Podcast on Apple Podcastst, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher or Android
- Find us on Instagram and Facebook
- The Juggle website, where you can find all episodes of The Juggle and sign up to be notified when a new episode is released